strawberry rhubarb PIE
FOR THE PASTRY:
2 1/2 cups (or 300g) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon (3g) kosher salt
1 1/4 cups (285g) butter, cold, and cut into cubes
8-10 tablespoons (120g-150g) of ice water
1/4 cup of heavy cream for the wash
FOR THE FILLING:
3 cups strawberries, sliced
2 cups rhubarb, sliced
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Prepare the filling: mix rhubarb, strawberries, and sugar together in a bowl and allow to macerate for 15 minutes.
3. Prepare the pastry: combine flour and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add butter and, using your fingers, rub the fat into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal. One tablespoon at a time, mix in ice water until the dough just comes together.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball. Divide the ball into two portions, 1/4 of the dough in one and 3/4 of the dough in the other, and flatten each into a disk. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or up to 2 days. Once the dough is refrigerated, with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the larger of the disks out on a floured surface and fit it into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim the dough so it hangs just over the edge of the plate and add the extras to your smaller disk. Roll out the smaller into a 9-inch (ish) oval and start to slice it into 1 inch thick strips.
6. Pour the macerated rhubarb and strawberry mixture into the centre of the pie shell and use your fingers to drop bits of the butter on top of it. Lay a few strips of the dough across the pie horizontally and then lay a few more either woven through or on top of the horizontal strips. Brush pastry with cream.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350F and bake for another 40 minutes or until the pastry has browned and the filling is bubbling. Let pie cool completely before serving for at least three hours (or overnight) to let the filling set.